Canadian Instrumentation & Research Ltd.
CIR Ltd. was established in 1975 as an R&D group contracting in Optics and associated disciplines for Federal Government and commercial organizations. The scope of activities can be seen from the list of selected completed contracts.
The evanescent wave technology essentially pioneered at Stanford by Professor Shaw et. al. was built on and expanded by the development and patenting of a method for optical contact of polished fibers. This allowed the assembly of couplers without any interleaving layer of index matching adhesive or oil and resulted in the high quality devices currently manufactured. Splice free arrays and interferometers can be fabricated as coupler halves and can be made on a continuous length of fiber.
Development and manufacturing of fiber optic components and fiber optic sensors has been ongoing since the early 1980's, resulting in the range of polarization maintaining and polarization preserving devices listed in the products section.
Custom precision mechanical devices and electronic control systems are also a significant part of company history and current work.
Examples of Development Activities Resulting in Delivered Hardware
- Optical Radar Recorder and Correlator for Seasat A Satellite SAR with anamorphic zoom
- Fiber Optic Hydrophones with resonant ring construction
- Fiber Optic Photoacoustic Spectrometer
- Fiber Optic Magnetic Field Sensor
- Fiber Optic Three Axis Accelerometer
- Optical Design for MAPS satellite
- Viking Satellite Imager Calibration System
- Passive Radar Acousto-Optic Spectrum Analyser for angle of arrival and frequency of radar signals
- Steel Mill IR Scanner
- Stereocompilers with zoom, rotational optic functions, parallax height measurement and prism switching
- Computer based system for stress/strain analysis
Partial List of Fiber Optic Development Contracts
- 8SR79-00065 Fiber optic sensors and light transmission system for low frequency hydrophones
- 8SC80-00310 Fiber Optic Hydrophones
- 8SB81-00457 Fiber Magnetic Field Sensors
- 1ST83-00017 Fiber Optic Coupler & Ring Resonator
- 8SB84-00133 Non-Magnetic Accelerometer
- 1ST84-00231 Polarization Preserving Couplers
- 1ST84-00373 Dual Cavity Ring Resonator Hydrophone
- 1ST84-00457 All Fiber Rotation Sensor
- 2SQ78-00223 Telescope Servo Drive
- 0GY78-01095 Stereocompiler Steering Device
- 1SQ80-00062 Optically Compensated Zoom Anamorphic Telescope
- 8ST80-00099 Portable Acousto Optic Radar Receiver
- 0GY80-00590 Design and Manufacture of a Minicompiler
- 8SC81-00185 Study of Frequency Modulated Laser Diode
- 2SV82-00023 Acousto Optic Signal Processor
- 2SV83-00123 Design & Fabrication of a Semiconductor Illumination
- System for Radar Signal
- Acousto Optic Processor
Industrial R&D Contracting
- Optical Code Reader
- Digital Sound Recording and Reading on 35 mm Film
- Scanning Microdensitometer Development
- Mathematical Modeling of Scanning Systems, Diffraction Optics, Waveguide Optics